Who should I cover?
Paying workers to help you around the home can make you an employer.
If you employ a household worker in, or about, or in connection with your primary place of residence or connected property, it is compulsory to take out a Household Workers’ Insurance Policy. This will cover you against potential compensation costs if the worker is injured while working for you.

Who is considered a ‘household worker’?
Household workers include cleaners, nannies, baby sitters, gardeners, handymen and in-home carers. Individual sole trader contractors with ABN’s operating their own business may also be considered to be household workers.
A holiday home is considered a private dwelling provided it is not also used as a rental property. Any workers engaged directly by the tenants of a rental property can be covered under a Household Workers’ insurance policy. Landlords who engage workers for their rental property, are not covered under a Household Workers’ insurance policy and must take out an Accident Insurance policy.
An Accident Insurance Policy is also recommended for homeowners who let out part of their house short term to the public regardless of whether they are living at the property or not.

What if business activities are conducted in a private dwelling?
Operating a business from home does not exclude you from having a Household Workers’ insurance policy. However workers must be engaged in connection with, or in and about, the private dwelling only, and not the business.
If a worker is employed wholly or partly in connection with a business, they cannot be considered a household worker and the employer needs to insure them under an Accident Insurance policy.
Some people use a part of their house or its grounds to conduct their business activities, such as photography studios, architectural services, counselling/therapy services, and farming and other rural enterprises. These areas are not considered a private dwelling as they are not used in the sole capacity as a domestic residence.

Property investors, owner/occupiers and tenants
Whether you’re a home owner or a tenant, be smart and protect yourself against the costs of a claim if your household workers get injured. Check out this table to see which policy is right for your circumstances

Your Status Accident Insurance Policy Household Worker Policy Policy Owner
Owner occupier   Homeowner
House sitter Homeowner
Running a business from a private dwelling with general use and access to the public Business Owner
Landlord owning one or more investment properties Property Owner/ Landlord
Tenant Tenant
Owner occupier letting a room (i.e. boarding) Homeowner
Sharing economy* (i.e. Airbnb) – owner letting part of the house to the public Homeowner
Sharing economy* (i.e. Airbnb) – short term letting of entire house to the public Homeowner