LEA Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd (ABN 58 523 762 917) (referred to below as LEA, we, our, us) is committed to protecting your privacy in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
- the LEA website (https://leaib.com.au) (the Website);
- our third-party suppliers.
What Personal Information do we collect and hold?
Personal Information is defined in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) to mean information or opinion about an individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable (whether the information or opinion is true or not, and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not).
We may collect and hold different kinds of Personal Information about you depending on the nature of your engagement with us. Such categories of Personal Information may include the following:
- Contact information: includes your name, phone number, email address, date of birth and your address;
- Transaction information: includes details about payments to and from you, and other details of products and services you have purchased from and /or sold to us, and insurance history;
- Credit information: includes information about your credit providers and credit defaults;
- Payment information: includes credit card information and billing addresses;
- Usage information: includes information about how you use the Website;
- Technical information: includes username and passwords, internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type, time zone setting and location, third party access tokens and other technology on the devices you use to access the Website;
- Employment information: details relating to your employment (if applicable) or your previous employment;
- Marketing information: includes your preferences in receiving marketing communications from us; and
- Any other Personal information that you provide to us either directly or indirectly when using the Website or when interacting with our third-party suppliers.
What Sensitive Information do we collect and hold?
Sensitive Information is defined in the Privacy Act to include Personal Information about your race or ethnic origin, political opinions or associations, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association or union, sexual orientation or practices, or criminal record information. Sensitive Information also includes information about your health or genetic background and biometric information.
We may collect and hold the following types of Sensitive Information and use such Sensitive Information for reasons directly relevant to our relationship with you (for example, to appropriately administer an insurance policy or review and consider a claim you make under an insurance policy):
- criminal record information;
- health information; and
- information in relation to your race or religion.
How do we collect your Personal Information?
We only collect personal information by lawful and fair means and where it is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, one or more of our functions or activities.
We will collect Personal Information directly from you wherever it is reasonable and practical to do so.
If we collect details about you from someone else, we will take reasonable steps to make you aware of the collection in accordance with the APPs.
We may also obtain Personal Information indirectly, for example, from:
- another insured if they arrange an insurance policy which also covers you;
- your previous insurers or insurance intermediaries;
- witnesses in relation to claims;
- health care workers;
- publicly available sources;
- premium funders; and
- people with whom we enter into business alliances.
We may collect Personal Information from you as a result of:
- your use and access of the Website;
- your response to any surveys or marketing materials we send out;
- information uploaded to the Website by yourself or by other users; and
- interactions between yourself, other users of the Website or any internal applications (if applicable), and our staff.
We attempt to limit the collection of sensitive information from you, unless we are required to do so in order to carry out the services provided to you. However, we do not collect sensitive information without your consent.
How do we hold your personal information?
We generally hold Personal Information in electronic format, which we store either within our own internal systems and applications or using third party data processors and data storage providers.
We may otherwise hold your Personal Information in hard copy form which is stored in our offices. We discuss the security of your Personal Information below.
Why do we collect, hold, use and disclose your Personal Information?
We collect, hold, use and disclose your Personal Information for a variety of reasons including in the most common circumstances listed below:
- the provision of insurance broking services, insurance intermediary services, funding services, claims management services and risk management and other consulting services;
- to assess the performance of the Website and to improve services we provide;
- to deliver targeted content based on user profiling and location;
- to process and respond to a complaint or request you may make;
- to contact you in relation to our services, particularly if we believe there are any products or services or any information, we believe you might be interested in (however in doing so we will comply with all applicable laws regarding the provision of unsolicited messages);
- if you have given consent for LEA’s use of the Personal Information for one or more specific purposes;
- it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party;
- for the provision of services or the administration of our business (including fulfilling and exercising our obligations and rights, exercising or defending legal claims and managing the relationship with you); or
- where it is necessary to meet our obligations at law, for example:
- for conducting identify checks required by the anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing laws;
- direct marketing purposes explained in more details below.
For example, we usually need to collect, hold, use and disclose personal information where:
- we are providing personal advice, so we can provide this advice to you;
- we arrange insurance, so insurer(s) can decide whether to offer insurance or not;
- you require premium funding, so the funder can decide whether to provide the funding or not;
- a claim is made, so the insurer can make a decision on the claim.
We do not use or disclose personal information for any purpose that is unrelated to our services and that you would not reasonably expect (except with your consent). We will only use your personal information for the primary purposes for which it was collected or as consented to.
Who may we disclose your Personal Information to?
We do not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others. We usually disclose personal information to third parties who assist us or are involved in the provision of our services and your personal information is disclosed to them only in connection with the services we provide to you or with your consent. We may also disclose it for direct marketing purposes explained in more detail below.
These third parties may include:
- technology partners and service providers in connection with services that these parties perform us;
- our lawyers, accountants and professional advisors;
- our agents, contractors, insurers, their agents and others they rely on to provide their services;
- reinsurers, premium funders, other insurance intermediaries, insurance reference bureaus, loss adjusters or assessors, medical service providers and credit agencies;
- to law enforcement authorities where we are required to do so by law or pursuant to a legal process; or
We also use personal information to develop, identify and offer products and services that may interest you, conduct market or customer satisfaction research. From time to time we may seek to develop arrangements with other organisations that may be of benefit to you in relation to promotion, administration and use of our respective products and services. See direct marketing explained in more detail further below. We do not use sensitive information to send you direct marketing communications without your express consent.
If we do propose to disclose or use your personal information other than for the purposes listed above, we will first seek your consent prior to such disclosure or use.
If we give third parties (including their agents, employees and contractors) your personal information, we require them to only use it for the purposes we agreed to.
What if we can’t collect your Personal Information?
If you do not provide us with the Personal Information we need, some or all of the following may occur:
- we or any involved third parties may not be able to provide appropriate services or products;
- you may not be able to use the Website and certain applications;
- we may not be able to provide you with targeted content and relevant information.
We have put in place a range of electronic security and access measures to prevent your Personal Information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your Personal Information to employees, agents, contactors, subsidiaries and other affiliated companies, and other third parties who have a business need for access.
We have put in place procedures to deal with suspected Personal Information breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
Access and correction of Personal Information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the Personal Information we handle is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you become aware of any errors in your Personal Information or, if you change your Personal Information, please let us know.
If we do not provide you with access to any of your Personal Information, or do not correct any of your Personal Information, we will provide you with our reasons.
You may also contact our Privacy Officer if you wish to obtain further information regarding our privacy practices and the way we handle your Personal Information.
For more information regarding privacy, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) at www.oaic.gov.au
Additional Services and Links to Other Sites
What do we expect of you/third parties we deal with when providing personal information about another person?
If we give you, personal information, you must only use it for the purposes we agreed to.
Unless an exemption applies or we agree otherwise, you must meet the requirements of the Privacy Act, when collecting, using, disclosing and handling personal information on our behalf.
You must also ensure that your agents, employees and contractors meet the above requirements.
You are able to visit our website without providing any personal information. We will only collect personal information through our website with your prior knowledge, for example, where you submit an enquiry or application online.
Email addresses are only collected if you send us a message, and will not be automatically added to a mailing list.
What happens if you want to complain?
We take your privacy concerns seriously. If you have a complaint regarding our handling of your Personal Information or concerning our privacy practices, we would like to know about it. Contact our Privacy Officer who will confirm receipt of your complaint within 1 business day of receiving it.
We will consider your complaint through our internal complaint’s resolution process. Information on our Complaints process can be accessed via our website: https://www.leaib.com.au/complaints-process/ or by contacting our office to obtain a copy.
You may also have the right to have your privacy complaint determined by the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA), providing the complaint falls within AFCA’s jurisdiction. AFCA provides a fair and independent financial services complaints resolution, that is free to consumers. You can contact AFCA by:
Phone: 1800 931 678
Mail: GPO Box 3 Melbourne Vic 3001
Our website may use ‘cookies’. Cookies can be used to collect Personal Information. A cookie is a small file that is stored on your devise by a website. Cookies contain information which is readable by the website that issued the cookie to you, and is commonly used to remember your details and preferences when you return to that website. If you set up your web browser to reject cookies, certain functions of our Website may become unavailable to you.
How to contact us and opt out rights
- gain access to your personal information;
- have us correct or update your personal information;
- have a complaint about a breach of your privacy;
- withhold your consent (opt out) from allowing us to use your information to provide you with product updates or services from us;
Contact the Privacy Officer during business hours on:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Attn: Privacy Officer in the subject line
Phone: 07 5538 8988
Mail: Attn: Privacy Officer, LEA Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd, PO Box 5844, Gold Coast Mail Centre 9726
You can also obtain information on privacy issues in Australia from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (“OAIC”):
Online: https://www.oaic.gov.au/about-us/contact-us – Complete Enquiry form or refer to Online Forms
Phone: 1300 363 992
Mail: GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001